Thursday, April 29, 2010

Day Six -- still painting

Tried the lower floor ceiling again today. This time using 'Bright Life Interior latex satin gloss enamel' in the color 'white white,' which is a rather weird color name. I mean, what are the alternatives? Blue white? Pink white? Anyway, here's the first coat, and, yes, it really is this shiny, and, no, it isn't all that white, is it?:


The second coat went on easily, although I'm not sure I'm going to like the finished product after it's totally dry tomorrow. There are streaky lines and bumps (see second photo):



I decided to go ahead and paint the door. My kit, being a 'special edition,' had the door pre-assembled, which I'm thinking is the only way to go. Except that, being pre-assembled, painting it was a bit of a challenge. Trying to get paint onto the edges without getting it on the trim, for example. After I started with the plum paint, it occurred to me that maybe I should have painted the entire thing white first, since the panels and the trim will be white. Then I could have painted the main body of the door. Of course, then I would have gotten blotches of plum on the white panels and would be complaining that I should have done the plum first:


After painting the main part of the door, I realized that the edges need to be painted as well:


After the second coat:


See the blotch? The other side of the door (facing the interior) will be white, I guess. And what about a door knob?

A word about paint. The two main colors for the house, lilac and plum, I bought at the miniature store when I bought the dollhouse kit. Rather than charge me a lot of money for the white I would need, I was advised to buy it at my local home improvement center. Good, economical advice, especially as this is my first attempt -- and possibly my last, the way it's going now. But, should I ever do another dollhouse, I'm buying *all* my paint from the miniature store. They sell quality stuff, which was driven home to me after buying that crappy textured white stuff at my local crafting store, and the disappointing blue I used on the upper floor ceiling. The jury is still out on the rose and green I bought for stenciling.

No comments:

Post a Comment