Monday, May 3, 2010

Day Eight -- Fumble Fingers are no Asset

The manufacturer's manuel (the one I downloaded) said the window frames should be assembled *before* painting them. Since I had only done one coat and there were still the edges to paint, this didn't present an insurmountable problem. First, line up the frames the way they are to be glued:


Then, *before* glueing, practice putting a rubber band around the edges first. Only when you are able to do this consistently, without having the pieces go flying, apply the glue. Sage advice. It took me several tries before I realized that I had to hold the rubber band in the approximate shape of the frame and use my fingertips to hold the frame. Then use whatever fingers were left over to ease the rubber band down. For the smaller frames, this wasn't so bad:


Not so easy with the larger frames:



In fact, one of the larger frames went together fine, but, as I was wiping off the excess glue, the rubber band snapped and most of my time putting these together was spent trying to find all the pieces.

Final product:


That was enough frustration for the day.

I did try to square the holes that the frames would go in, as per the manufacturer's instructions, but met with little success. So I tried instead to see if the frames would fit without squaring and they did. Let's hope they do once the glue dries.

Tomorrow's plan is to sand down all those surfaces I already painted and hit them with another coat. Wonder where Mike keeps his sandpaper?

No comments:

Post a Comment