Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day Fourteen -- Glue and tape some more

Just for jollies, I did a quick cross stitch of a monarch butterfly to frame and hang on the wall:


For some reason I didn't take a picture of the first row of shingles I put on the house. Probably because, right after I did, I realized I wasn't supposed to do that until I assembled the gable triangle and glued it on. That quick set glue is damned strong stuff. Prying off the two shingles that were in the way of the triangle proved impossible, so I had to work around it.

First the sides of the gable got taped flat:


Then glued and taped:


Next the gable got slide into grooves, glued and taped. The instructions were adamant that the edges had to be perfect. I'm not so good at perfect, but it seemed pretty good to me:


I'm starting to run out of tape:

I found that a toothbrush was an excellent tool for removing excess glue that oozed out.

Glueing the gable on was interesting with only two hands. You can see where the shingles kind of get in the way:



The gable refused to get flush with the roof, but there still need to be shingles on everything, which will hopefully fill in the gaps. That's today's project.

I decided to give the stenciling one more try. Painting just didn't work, but it turns out that ultra fine sharpies are pretty good. For some reason the pens refuse to do more than a few lines before drying up, so it's a slow process, but I'm pleased with the outcome. I'll finish that up today and then the panels get glued onto the backing and they get glued to the house:


No comments:

Post a Comment