Monday, May 3, 2010

RTFM

I forget why I went to the dollhouse manufacturer's web page, but while there I found a downloadable pdf of the instruction manuel. Since a friend asked me to find one for her, I got it, opened it, and was surprised that it wasn't the same as the manuel that came with the dollhouse. It was better in that it had pictures to help identify parts.

Unfortunately it had a section *not* found in the manuel I had been using. Called "Getting Started." Apparently, before I started painting, I was supposed to square the corners of the windows and doorways. So now I have to go do that, which means some repainting.

Second, stain the shingles. Well, I haven't done that yet, but I know that it takes two days for them to dry, and I've got a way to go before needing to use them, so that's no big deal. I'm guessing the manufacturer expects me to devote most of my life to completing this thing in the shortest time possible. I'm shooting for Christmas.

Third, paint all the walls but do not paint the edges. I'll have to check to see if I've already gone too far there.

Fourth, sand the clapboard one course at a time and re-paint. No, I didn't sand it at all. So -- sand and re-paint. Again.

Fifth, the scary part. It's the advice about the hardwood floors -- "Do not use oil finishes or penetrating stain."

Uh oh.

No comments:

Post a Comment